Master’s Level Engineering Internship Semester
The engineering internship semester (Fall or Spring shown in orange below) cannot be followed as a separate module. It is integrated within Icam’s Master’s in General Engineering Program, or may be a part of Double Degree programs with chosen partner universities.
Why choose this program?
The Engineering Internship offers the opportunity for students to harness, test and further develop their engineering abilities in the realistic context of a company. Four key capabilities are developed in the course of the engineering internship*:
- Ability to contribute to inter-disciplinary projects: As interns, the future engineers design and implement solutions for multi-disciplinary technical issues, integrating scientific and technical knowledge in the fields of Materials, Mechanical Engineering, Energetics, Electrical and Automation Engineering, Informatics, and Industrial Engineering. By adding management of financial, organizational and human resources to the context, aptitude for project management is also developed.
- Ability for operational management: The future engineers contribute to managing an organization around a product or a service, by drawing up or optimizing production methods, supervising flows and production, and by managing personnel and tools. This ability develops into aptitude for industrial management.
- Ability to approach the company comprehensively: As part of a project or a production unit or a service unit, the future engineers deal with various aspects in a company: integrating the company’s strategy; managing finances; defining and implementing an organization; complying with legal regulations. The interns situate their contribution as engineers among other participants. They provide responsible and ethical proposals and initiatives. These abilities develop into aptitude for corporate management.
- Interpersonal and managerial aptitude: During the course of their internship, the future engineers are asked to introspect, and at the same time, approach others with basic confidence. Good communication skills and sensitivity towards others are used to mobilize individuals and groups; the interns contribute to the development and the dynamics of the team.
* These competencies are in accordance with the description certified by the French National Council for Professional Certification.
TIP: Make the most of your time in France and stay for 2 years and get an Icam general engineering diploma! Invest a whole year at Icam with the first semester taught in English of French, and a second Master’s level concentration semester at one of the 4 possible locations. Top this off with a second year of R&D and an internship. It will let you truly experience French culture, gain valuable foreign language skills and be exposed to French companies.
- You spend a minimum of 5 months, full-time, in a company (from August-January or from February-July).
- You will have clear responsibilities on an entire project or part of a project.
- You will tackle a problem with significant return on investment for a company.
- You will have to unfold the large assets of a general engineering scope.
- You will have a unique opportunity to collect knowledge and analyze social, business and industrial models through the specific context of your company.
- You will have to evaluate and analyze your experience according to Icam’s Decision-Making approach.
- You will be able to gather references for your future professional life.
The 5-month internship can be located in France or another country, depending on your study program.
The language can be a mix of French, English, or the language of the host country, both for oral communication and for written documents and resources.